SCRAN ACADEMY IS A NON-PROFIT CATERING COMPANY WITH A CAUSE. THEY ARE LEADING A COALITION OF LOCAL AGENCIES AND CHARITIES THAT IS RAPIDLY RESPONDING TO THE FOOD AND SAFETY NEEDS OF THOUSANDS OF EDINBURGH RESIDENTS AT GREATEST RISK FROM CORONAVIRUS AND WHO ARE CURRENTLY SELF ISOLATING.
The Coalition comprises of Scran Academy, Prep Table Scotland, Pilton Equalities Project, Fet Lor Youth Club, Out of the Blue Leith, The Edinburgh Academy and Fettes College with many other organisations coming together to support, produce and distribute much needed meals for over 1,300 of Edinburgh’s most vulnerable people.
Scran Academy offers more than just food, they offer daily, healthy meals. By delivering directly to doorsteps, they are supporting those who are unable to access food and/or lack the ability or resources to cook.
In their first six weeks of operation, they have produced, packaged and delivered over 18,000 meals to over 1,000 people and are currently delivering around 3,500 meals per week.
Using Elemental, Scran Academy can easily report on and measure what the coalition has achieved to date which include metrics like:
- 34,186 ready meals freshly prepared and delivered direct to doors
- 1,300+ people accessing support
- Over 140 staff & volunteers have come together to give thousands of hours back to communities in Edinburgh
- Nearly 700 separate referrals from over 60 different agencies
- 13% of referrals have been made direct to the Scran Academy from family, friends or self-referral
- 53% of referrals represent single people, many of whom are socially isolated on their own
- 47% of referrals represent families and couples who have been disproportionately affected by lockdown through job loss, loss of free school meals and/or underlying health conditions
- 7% are facing homelessness or in temporary accommodation with no access to cooking facilities
- Over 300 people have been trained in Covid19 safety guidance and risk assessment
- 126 people (10%) no longer required support, due to exiting isolation or getting family support. A positive indicator that people in Edinburgh are avoiding a dependency culture.
“It is going to be great to have a platform that allows us to share relevant information appropriately, whilst minimising the risk of data breaches. We are excited to see how Elemental will change our organisation as we grow.” Charlie Johnson, Youth Development Coordinator, Scran Academy
WHY COMMUNITY FOOD DISTRIBUTION INITIATIVES NEED TO BECOME A MAJOR PART OF POPULATION HEALTH
Food and nutrition are key determinants of health. What people eat, and how much they eat, influences how healthy they are, their mental health and even how long they live. Food poverty arises when people lack the money or other resources needed to eat a healthy diet, something that’s particularly prevalent during Covid-19.
“Food Distribution is an extremely important element of community health and wellbeing. We’re finding more and more organisations in health, housing and Local Gov are identifying poverty and social isolation as a reason for referral into other services and it’s something that’s becoming a key catalyst for other health issues. Scran Academy is a great example of how local leaders & agencies are uniting to be there for people when they need them most. Elemental are honoured to be the platform that is helping power food distribution in these communities.” Jennifer Neff, CEO, Elemental Software
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Need a digital partner to enhance the impact of your social prescribing programmes, or to help you to co-design, deliver and scale your COVID19 plans?
Drop us a line or pop your details in the form below.